Asparagus and asparagus dishes
How do I choose a good asparagus?With a good asparagus, the stem must be white and tender. Moreover, they must be beautifully shaped and straight. The head must be tight and closed. Fresh asparagus squeak when rubbed together.
When is the asparagus season?In February the greenhouse cultivation starts and with the celebration of Sint-Jan on 24 June the season is officially ended.
Are asparagus healthy?Asparagus is not only tasty but they are also very healthy. They are very low in calories (500 grams contain 80 kcal) and are rich in potassium, phosphorus, magnesium and zinc. They are good for the skin and contain vitamins A, B1, B2 and C. The asparagine substance in the asparagus has a beneficial effect on liver disorders, insufficient kidney function, gout, chronic rheumatism, fatigue, palpitations and low blood pressure. Asparagus is blood purifying and moisture resistant. That is why they are very useful in patients with kidney and bladder disorders.
10 steps to prepare tasty asparagus
- buy asparagus with a white and tender stem. It must not be woody or dried up. The stem must also be straight and nicely shaped.
- the bottom edge must be cool and fresh and not woody
- Asparagus is best stored in the refrigerator, wrapped in a damp cloth
- soak the asparagus for 30 minutes in cold water before peeling
- place the asparagus on a kitchen shelf while peeling. Start peeling (with a special asparagus knife or a peeler) 2 to 3 centimeters below the head. Hold the head and peel from top to bottom
- cut about one centimeter from the bottom
- then put the asparagus on the fire in cold water with a pinch of sugar and some salt. Preferably in a special asparagus pan and standing upright, so that the cups are not submerged. But this is also perfectly possible in a normal pot.
- boil the asparagus for 3 minutes.
- Then remove the pan from the heat and cook for another 20 minutes with the lid closed.
- You can save peels and pieces and then make a tasty asparagus soup
How do I prepare green asparagus?The preparation of green asparagus is done in the same way as the preparation of white asparagus. When peeling green asparagus you remove less peel. Only the lower part of the stem has to be removed. Green asparagus must cook a little longer, namely 5 minutes. Then continue cooking next to the fire with the lid closed. White and green asparagus are basically the same. Only the white asparagus was grown underground, out of light and the green asparagus was allowed to enjoy the sun. That is also why we see more white asparagus in our regions and more green asparagus in southern countries.
Can you freeze asparagus?Yes, you can freeze asparagus. You peel the asparagus, wash them, dry them well and put them uncooked in a plastic bag in the freezer. When you prepare them, you use them in a frozen state. It is therefore not necessary to defrost them first.
Why does my urine smell so much after eating asparagus?Asparagus contains sulfur-containing substances. After eating asparagus, these substances are converted into volatile sulfur-containing compounds. This explains the characteristic odor of the urine after eating asparagus. About half of the population would have to deal with this phenomenon.
Why are asparagus so expensive?Growing asparagus is very labor-intensive. Each stem must be treated separately. The asparagus can grow around 12 centimeters per day. When the weather is sunny, you sometimes have to stabbing twice or twice a day. All that work has its price, of course, and that is settled in the final price per kilo.
In Dutch Limburg, the asparagus has its own museum: the National Asparagus and Mushroom Museum. In this museum you can learn more about growing crops and about the tools used. Also videos about the entire life cycle of the crops. You can find this museum at Koppertweg 5 in Melderslo.